Monday, July 26, 2010

What's A Pescetarian And Why Am I One?

For the last six years, I've been a pescetarian, which means I eat fish, but no other meat. Before I went pescetarian, I spent a year or so before that as a vegan, but decided I needed a little more protein in my diet and added fish to see if that felt better...and it did. So why would someone decide to become a pescetarian, anyway (and btw, to be more specific, I'm actually an ovo-lacto-pescetarian, which means that I also eat eggs and some dairy).

Now...before I get into this, I want to be clear about something. I am not a hardcore fanatic about vegetarianism or animal rights. Do I believe in animal rights? Yes. Do I think that animals that are raised for food are treated atrociously? Yes. And do I believe that economically and politically, vegetarianism is a wiser option for the planet? Yep. But do I evangelize vegetarianism or veganism to other people? Nope.

If you want to learn more about vegetarianism, the global impact of our dietary choices, or how your meat is treated (which may have implications for your health), read John Robbins' books, Diet For A New AmericaThe Food Revolution. That's as evangelistic as I get about this stuff, because honestly? I just don't think it's up to me to tell you how to eat.

So why do I eschew most meat? Well, first of all, I don't really like it. I never have. Don't get me wrong - I've enjoyed a spectacular steak now and again in my time, but intellectually, I simply can't help thinking about what meat actually is, when I'm eating it. And that has always been a problem for me. It does not bother me when others are eating meat around me. I realize there are other vegetarian-minded people who are disgusted when others consume meat nearby, but I am not one of them, so I find it a little funny when people I dine with apologize for their steaks. For some reason that I have yet to fully understand, I'm not the slightest bit squeamish about fish, which is why it's a regular part of my diet. I have to eat something, and fish happens to be easier for me to eat. I like most fish, and although there are issues with fishing practices and commercial fish farms, it has a slightly lowered economic impact than meat consumption. It's what's right for me.

Another reason I don't eat meat is that reading Diet For A New America and The Food Revolution really educated me about the politics, economics, health concerns, and overall issues associated with meat and meat production. Aside from the fact that these books are well-written so they're actually interesting,  they really did change my life. And since meat wasn't really at the top of my list anyway, letting it go wasn't that big of a deal for me. I've never really missed having steak or chicken or pork in my diet, though I do have to confess to an occasional craving for barbecued ribs.

I thought it might be a challenge being married to an Uruguayan, as meat is a critical part of their diet. But we've respected each other's choices and it really hasn't been a problem at all. Leo shares my diet a great deal of the time, but occasionally has a craving for meat, and then he just has some. Brands like Boca and Morningstar have made things a lot easier. When my family dines on burgers, I get a Boca burger. And when Leo wants bacon, there's the Morningstar version of bacon - what we call "fake-on." Every once in awhile, Leo grills a steak while I'm grilling some shrimp. It all works out in the end.

And as for eating fish, well, I'm aware that there are issues with that as well, with overfishing and dyed salmon and whatnot. But I do my best to be conscious of the choices I make...at the end of the day, if you're trying to make a small difference, it's better than not trying at all.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Susan! You articulated my thoughts, though I also indulge in poultry every now and again. I'm getting closer to dairy-free and it feels good. I may eventually go vegan, but it won't be as much a result of avoiding certain foods as enjoying others.

    ReplyDelete