Wednesday, July 7, 2010

That's Just How I Roll.

Last week, for the last time, I converted Marriott Rewards Points into frequent flier miles. It was a bittersweet moment. The transfer was the last, as my beloved American Airlines has severed its ties to Marriott, but what a way to go out, since this particular transfer yielded a pretty snazzy result - it put me at having achieved over 1 million frequent flier miles with American Airlines since I joined six years ago. Not only is that just kinda cool, but it also means that AA is thanking me for my loyalty by giving me Lifetime Gold status. That means that as long as I live and as long as AA is in business, I'll be able to book the exit row, get occasional upgrades, and just generally be a happy traveler. At this stage of my traveling game, I'm just spoiled enough to be bothered that it's not Lifetime Platinum status, but that's what I get if I make 2 million miles, and you can bet I'm already thinking about how I'm going to achieve that goal.

Flying is one of my greatest passions. There's something so exciting about getting on the plane- it's the potential of the place I'm going....the dream of what I'm about to see, hear, taste, smell, experience. I once read an article in a travel magazine...I wish I could remember where I read it. The author talked about how, when we plan a trip, we think about our packing process, we think about our arrival at our destination, but we never think about what's in between. For example, if you plan a trip to Hawaii, in your mind, you're packing your bags and then you're just...there. You've got a lei around your neck and a Mai Tai in your hand. But what we forget is that in between those two moments, you're getting your bags in the car, you're driving to the airport, parking and taking the shuttle, checking in, taking off your shoes for security, waiting for the flight, sitting on the plane, maybe changing planes, getting off the plane, waiting for your bag while looking at posters of people on the vacation you're waiting to go on when you leave the airport, taking a cab to the hotel, checking into the hotel, dropping off your bags...and then, finally, blessedly, you've got a lei around your neck and a Mai Tai in your hand.

You know what? I love the entire process, from start to finish. I love shopping for the tickets and planning the routing. I love choosing the hotel and learning about our destination. I love learning about the culture and some of the language of the country I'm visiting. I love the entire trip, from getting on the plane to taking the cab to the hotel. I love it all.

But...there are a few reasons why I love it so much, and the biggest one is that I've learned how to travel well. If I had to sit in the plane in a regular seat from Chicago to London, for example, I would probably hate flying. Having the seat in front of you so close to your nose that you can't even breathe properly is not the best way to travel. And sitting in the airport, with the chaos and the uncomfortable chairs and the crowds and the noise is also not the most pleasant experience.

Some might say I'm a travel snob. Perhaps that's true. But after several years and over one million miles, I'm okay with that label. The key to traveling well is cutting down on things that tire you out on the journey. Here are a few things I've learned:
  1. On a plane, the best seat in economy class is in the exit row. You get more leg room, no seat in front of your nose, and heck, you also know that you aren't leaving your safety in the hands of someone else, in case of emergency (which is great for control freaks like me!) Unfortunately, the only way to book the exit row on most airlines is to be a member of their frequent flier program and have elite status. In most cases, the best way to do that is to get your butt in the seat and fly. But if you want to get lifetime status with an airline like I did, they usually base that on the number of miles you've accrued since you joined their program. And you can do that any way you want. I paid for a ton of my house remodeling with a debit card that earned miles. Most airlines also have an online shopping portal, dining programs where you register a card with them and get miles when you dine at participating restaurants, and you can do special offers where you get miles for getting a certain credit card. I even get miles every time I do an internet search!
  2. Noise-canceling headphones are a brilliant investment if you fly a lot. They're priced exactly right, though frankly, they're worth their weight in gold. They cut down on the airplane noise, and make your flight so much more pleasant. I use the Bose Q2 and not only can I use them when I travel, but I also use them when I cut the grass. :D I wish they took up a little less space, but the earbud ones don't work as well for me.
  3. In the airport, the best place to relax between flights is the airline's VIP lounge. Unfortunately, that usually costs a bundle, so it only makes sense if you fly a lot. If you don't fly frequently, you can usually get a day pass. You'll get better food, cleaner bathrooms, quieter space, and free Wifi, and probably free drinks as well. 
  4. If you want to really relax when you get to your destination, and you're not renting a car, skip the cab and hire a car. It's way more expensive to hire a car service, and I've only done it a handful of times. But what I can tell you is that you won't even touch your bag, maybe not even to get it off the conveyor belt, you'll be given a newspaper and a bottle of water, the driver will drive like a normal person, not a crazed cabbie, and the car will be clean, and probably will have leather seats. They're nice. Not the most economical choice, but certainly a pleasant one.
There are plenty more, but this is longer than I expected, so I'll hold off on the rest for now, but expect to see more travel tips on the way.
    In the meantime, here are a few of my favorite travel web sites:
    FlyerTalk.com
    SeatGuru.com
    AmericanAirlines.com








    No comments:

    Post a Comment