Monday, July 12, 2010

In Support of Mastication

Chewing. Seems like there's not much to learn about it, right? Wrong. I've been reading a few nutrition books lately and it turns out that there's a lot more to chewing than you might think.

According to what I'm reading, if you drink a lot of liquids when you're eating, you're not chewing enough. If you burp or have bloating, you're probably not chewing enough. And chewing your food thoroughly is absolutely essential to good digestion and even assimilation of important nutrients.

In becoming more mindful of my dining habits, I've discovered two things: 1) I am rarely fully present when I'm eating. I eat while having conversations, reading, working, watching TV, but I hardly ever just...eat. 2) I don't chew my food nearly enough. In fact, recently, I've been stressed out and that's resulted in me pretty much inhaling my food.

As I become more aware and present, I find that I not only chew more, improving my digestion, but I also  enjoy my food more. It's certainly a step in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment