Friday, August 6, 2010

True Confessions: I'm A Reality TV Show Addict...But A Discerning One!

I've been watching reality TV since the very first episode of "The Real World" aired back in 1992. I've watched everything from "Survivor" to "The Bachelor" to Richard Branson's "The Rebel Billionaire" and even "Joe Millionaire." Realizing I've been watching reality TV for almost 20 years makes me feel a bit like an aficionado of sorts. And after watching reality TV for this long, I know what draws me in and I know what bothers me most.

I'm endlessly fascinated by people. I always have been. I love watching people, pondering nonverbal language, wondering about relationships. It's probably why I pursued my Master's degree in sociology and social psychology. 

I love watching contestants evolve over a season. When you watch someone's journey in a competition like "Top Chef," you often see them evolve in their field. On "So You Think You Can Dance," we often witness fresh talent learning new styles and creative forms of expression. 

I like shows that encourage growth.  Unlike other shows, "So You Think You Can Dance" balances smart packaging with honest encouragement. The SYTYCD judges aren't just nasty, as you see on "American Idol," where Simon Cowell pointlessly bashes contestants for not being packaged well enough to sell records. And while it might be a function of the specific medium of expression, the SYTYCD judges promote creativity, passion, talent and skill...though in the most recent season, I suspect they're becoming a bit jaded by the "America's Favorite Dancer" part of the show. 

I like shows where I learn something. I've learned a great deal about food from "Top Chef." I've discovered new restaurants, tried new ingredients I'd never heard of, and learned that there are things going on that I never even knew existed, like molecular gastronomy. To compare, I've learned little from "Hell's Kitchen," though I did discover that it must be really hard to work in a restaurant kitchen, something I've never done. And watching the artists on Bravo's "Work of Art" this season has been intriguing to me - most of the artists create work that would be more at home in the Tate, say, than in the Louvre (please don't think I'm grossly overstating the talent there - just making the point that the artists in the show are of a much more modern style of art than is my particular taste or understanding). As a result, I've gained a larger appreciation and comprehension of where modern art really comes from and why it is the way that it is (more on that at a later date).
I like watching shows - even the dumb ones- with my friends. Okay, I admit it - I watch "The Real Housewives of New York." I'm intrigued by the NYC culture. In my neck of the woods, we don't go out  nearly that often and rarely dress up that much. And, I love watching RHONY with my friend, Gina. Gina lives in Denver and I'm in Indianapolis, so I can't invite Gina over for a glass of wine on RHONY night. Instead, we meet on Facebook and use the chat feature to analyze the show and talk. It's just really good, lighthearted, girly fun, and a great way for us to spend some time together. 

I don't like all reality television. A few years ago, we saw a big trend in reality TV where producers were creating cheap, mean TV, exploiting people, hurting people, and generally, just creating crummy shows. And while much of that still exists, there are shows that I think merit at least a little of my time.

My personal favorites these days include "Top Chef" and "So You Think You Can Dance," simply because these shows focus on excellence in specific industries, and encourage an evolution among contestants. And I have no doubt that "Top Chef: Just Desserts" will quickly fall into my favorites list. After all, what could be better than a reality show about exceptional pastry?




No comments:

Post a Comment