Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cool Presents From The Heart

When I give someone a gift, the last thing I really want to do is spend a fortune. I'd much rather give a gift that touches someone's heart, rather than something that impresses them with how much I spent. So how do you give a gift from the heart, to the heart, and show someone what they mean to you?

I start by thinking about the person. Who are they? What are their interests and hobbies? Maybe I'll find a book related to something that appeals to them or something I know they want to learn about. Or maybe I can find a tool they need for a hobby they enjoy. 

Next, I think about what I can do that is from the heart, but also appeals to their heart. Not long ago, I used some of my mom's old piano music with her handwritten notes on it and decoupaged it onto some canisters for my sister. The music was falling apart and couldn't be used, and my sister and my mom bonded over their love for piano, so I knew it would mean something to my sister.

A few years ago, my dad made a CD for my sister and me called "Dad Sings!" on which he recorded himself singing some of the songs we grew up with. That's something I'll treasure forever, and something he recently gave to my stepchildren, passing on the tradition to another generation.

Personal, heartfelt gifts don't have to be made by hand, but they do require a personal touch. Our first Christmas together, Leo found a company that took a letter he'd written and printed it on a scroll, which they placed inside a heart-shaped bottle and nestled inside a beautiful box with a leather strap around it. It was an amazing, romantic gift, and so well-done that I was absolutely blown away.

The point of a present from the heart is that you think about the other person and what will be meaningful to them. Focus on the other person and what matters and is important to them, and you'll easily come up with a cool present. And remember, it's not about what you spend or how perfect the gift. It's about being thoughtful and giving from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment