Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kaiten Sushi - What is it and where can you get it?

If you've never experienced kaiten sushi, I highly recommend it, even if you're not a huge sushi fan. Kaiten sushi is also known as "conveyor belt sushi, " and is more of a serving style than it is a type of sushi. The chef makes a one- or two-person portion and sets the plate on a conveyor belt. Guests sit at a bar and the conveyor belt moves in front of them. It's a lot like a buffet, but instead of you moving down the buffet line, it moves in front of you. If you like something, you snag the plate before it passes you by. And if you need help, all you have to do is push a button on your counter and your server magically appears. It's so different from your average dining experience, I think everyone should try it at least once.

Kaiten sushi is a lot of fun. I can be a bit indecisive with all those beautiful dishes in front of me, so I often wait until it's just about gone before I decide I want it, so Leo gets a kick out of seeing me scramble. Plus, it's really easy to share dishes and try new things. 

Some sushi aficionados think kaiten sushi is low-grade and less-than-fresh (I've had that experience at Yo Sushi! in England, both at Heathrow airport and in Newcastle), but I honestly think if you find a good kaiten restaurant, the sushi is quite fresh and delicious. Our favorite so far is Sartori Robotai in London, which I'll be reviewing soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment