Saturday, August 7, 2010

Just A Carry-On For Me, Thanks.

Did you know that you can travel for a week or two with just a carry-on? The biggest mistake I see travelers make is taking too much stuff along. Most people overpack, because they're terrified to leave something behind (and for a truly genius comic commentary on "stuff," check out George Carlin's "A Place for My Stuff"). But don't you know that no matter where you go, it's most likely that you can find what you need there?

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm pretty particular about a couple of things. I need my laptop on most journeys, though on many excursions, I can make do with an Eee PC. I'm dependent on my skin care and makeup regimens and my choice of shampoo and conditioner. But if I get to my destination and I don't have my toothbrush or toothpaste, it's no big deal to find replacements.

This knowledge was reinforced when Leo and I took the kids to Spain this past Christmas and British Airways lost our bags for virtually the entire trip. I quickly discovered that while I prefer my own deodorant and toothpaste (and even clothes), I can certainly make do with substitutions when the situation calls for it.

These days, my favorite way to travel is with a carry-on bag only. The Spain trip was an anomaly, and here's how that happened: Leo and I spent a lot of time during our courtship traveling back and forth across oceans and continents to see each other. But since we married in 2008, we haven't spent a whole lot of time traveling, so we got out of practice a little bit. As a result, we ended up overpacking for Spain. Still, even if we hadn't overpacked, it's likely we would've checked at least one bag, because in addition to our own stuff, we had Christmas presents for the kids.

After the lost baggage fiasco (which is still being resolved, seven months later, but there is hope on the horizon, as British Airways has just asked for my bank account information so they can wire my reimbursement finally), Leo and I agreed that whenever possible in the future, we'll travel light and stick to carry-ons when we can.

Generally speaking, carry-on only is a pretty nice way to travel and you get really good at taking only what you really need. Plus, you don't have to schlep heavy suitcases around, and that really rocks.

I've traveled around the States and to Montevideo and London using just a carry-on and it's so liberating, you can't even believe it. The trick is knowing what to take and how to pack. My first best tip is to make sure you have a great carry-on suitcase. Mine is a Briggs & Riley expandable bag, and I absolutely love it. Briggs & Riley is on the pricey side, but the quality is impeccable. OTOH, Kohl's regularly has amazing deals on Samsonite and you can pick up a really decent, durable bag for under $100.

Next, I have a little Baggallini fold-up tote bag that fits easily into my suitcase. It provides one more bag, so I can buy cool stuff in interesting places, and check a bag only when I'm going home - when I don't mind waiting a little while for my stuff.

Finally, I carry a backpack. Mine is a black and pink plaid backpack made by Roxy, which I actually bought at The Apple Store several years ago. I'm sure I could find something more sophisticated, but it's quirky and I like it. It has a side-access pocket designed with extra padding for a laptop, and it's super-easy to take the laptop out for security, though the extra padding makes the backpack a bit warm to wear sometimes. It has an outside pocket on each side, one that holds change and the other a bottle of water, and another outside pocket on the front that is good for storing stuff I need quick access to. There's a nice interior pocket with an organizer and a large interior pocket where I can fit file folders, books, notepads, and a change of clothes. Plus, it now has the "sentimental attachment" feature, acquired after I repaired one of the straps with heavy-duty nylon thread at a department store in Newcastle.

So that's what I carry on the plane with me. As for what goes inside...well, that's a subject for another day. Until then, travel light!


2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you Sue. I travel a lot both for business and pleasure, and a carry-on is all you need. You just need to learn how to pack and think through before what you will need.

    I'm in and out of Heathrow (or any other major European airport) at least once a month and whenever I see someone hauling one or two gigantic suitcases I feel like asking them why they brought all that stuff.

    Seeing Up in the air with George Clooney this winter really made me laugh because that's what I've become. I scan the queue at security to see where not to go, I wear shoes that are easy to take off/on and I only have a carry-on, i.e. I travel smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (John & Rae and me, Little Smart Car) went 1/2 way across the country on a 2-week trip in June. John always packs light, but with my tiny space behind the seats, Rae learned to pack for 2 weeks in one bag. So after 3 bags (John's, Rae's, and the electronics bag) we had plenty of space left to take presents to family on the east coast! And once presents were delivered, we had space to bring home treasures from Rae's antique store trips! Love your blog! Have you seen mine?

    ReplyDelete