Friday, August 27, 2010

My Top 10 Favorite Movies Of All Time, Part 1

I'm a big fan of movies. But I have to be honest- I'm not a fan of the kind of movies that win Oscars. In fact, winning an Academy Award is often the kiss of death for me. I like movies that provide absolute escapism in the form of cool sci-fi adventures, action that involves alien spacecraft, car chases, explosions, and awesome "tough guy" moves, and intelligent comedy.

It's not that I think indy films or dramas are bad. I actually think they're wonderful and when you see an actor who is truly exploring his or her craft, it's an extraordinary experience. However...I've had a taste of "real life" and the tragedy and sorrow it can bring...just a taste, mind you - I've been far more fortunate than most - but as a result of my life experience, I just decided that I would rather focus on movies that don't tear at my heartstrings or make me cry. I just don't need it. I can watch a Terry Gilliam film, for example, but only to placate my beloved husband. I would never watch one alone...at least not on purpose.

And don't get me started on how irritated I was when I watched "Million Dollar Baby." I was led to believe it was a movie about a tough female boxer...and when I discovered what that movie really turned out to be, I was unspeakably horrified and annoyed. My entertainment is strictly that- entertainment. And as such, I want excitement and fun.

So here are my favorite top 10 movies of all time, in no particular order (because I'm bad at deciding which I like best, and I pretty much love them all):

  1. Planet of the Apes...all of them.
    Planet of the Apes was a really cool series and is probably my favorite movie series of all time. I love the concept and I love the series. I love Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowell, and Ricardo Montalbán, and I love that they made not just a TV series, but a comic book and a cartoon out of the movies. The original series is the best, though I didn't despise the Tim Burton-Marky Mark remake, and I'm definitely looking forward to the 2011 Rise of the Apes.

    The Planet of the Apes movies also give me an opportunity to explain my one caveat to my "No Academy Awards Winners" policy, which is that if a movie wins an award for music, makeup, or costumes, I will still watch it. Movies that win for "Best Actor" or whatever...forget it. Planet of the Apes won a couple of Oscars, but not for "Best Screenplay," which is why the series is allowed to maintain my top spot of all time.
     
  2. Iron Man 1 and 2
    I love all of the Marvel Comics movies, but I love the Iron Man franchise for two reasons: 1) Robert Downey Jr. is the quintessential actor for the Tony Stark role, as I can't imagine anyone who could carry the tragic-yet-witty-alcoholic concept more effectively, and 2) they've done an absolutely unparalleled job with the CG and special effects, like no other Marvel movie to date.

    One of the things I love most about Marvel movies is how they're tying them all into the upcoming Avengers movie, which should feature Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Nick Fury.

    Incidentally, here's a tip for all of you who are watching Marvel Comics movies and leaving when the credits roll: stick around. There are usually extra scenes at the end of each movie after the credits, and these scenes give you hints about what's coming. For example, at the end of Iron Man 2, they showed a bonus scene where archaeologists discovered Thor's hammer. Stop leaving before the credits are over!

    And here's something else I love about Marvel movies: they put little treasures into every film for the comic fans. In Iron Man, for example, you can see Captain America's shield, and it's something Tony Stark is working on. Plus, Stan Lee, creator of the X-Men and Spiderman, has a cameo in every film. In the first Fantastic Four, Stan Lee was a mailman. In the second Hulk, he played a guy who drank a beverage tainted with the Hulk's blood. He's also played Hugh Hefner, which I thought was hilarious. Among these treasures are images taken right from the pages of the comic books, and that's a big bonus for the fans.

  3. Wolverine: Origins
    I was super-excited about this movie, because it was just a few years before this film came out that Marvel released the Wolverine: Origins comic. Before that time, nobody really knew much about this character's history, and everyone was excited to learn where Wolverine had come from. Hugh Jackman's been a big surprise as Wolverine - when they announced he was playing the role at the very beginning, I was skeptical. But it's turned out to be an exceptional casting. So when they made this movie, I knew it was going to rock..And it did.

  4. X-Men 1, 2, and 3
    Let's face it, the X-Men franchise rocks. It's not just that the special effects are awesome, or that the makeup is cool. It's that the X-Men as a whole has always been an interestingly controversial comic, tackling issues like racism, religion, LBGT rights, and civil rights, and the movies treat that almost 50-year history with respect. And like the other Marvel movies, there are hidden gems and treasures for comic fans.

  5. Sabrina
    I figure after the high geek quotient of the last five films, this one would throw you for a loop. Remember, these aren't in order, and I'm doing this in two parts, because frankly, this is already too long. Fact is, I like other movies besides sci-fi and comic movies, and Sabrina is one of my all-time favorite films.

    I'm talking about the remake, primarily because I still haven't gotten around to watching the original. Horrible, I know. I keep thinking I should watch it so I can discover which one's better. But I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    So why do I love Sabrina? First, Paris is one of my favorite cities in all the world, and Sabrina describes Paris so beautifully and lovingly. Second, who doesn't love Harrison Ford, and who could've expected that the combination of Ford with Greg Kinnear would be so funny? Third, Julia Ormond is a perfect Sabrina, and the way she interacts with John Wood as her father is sweet. Look, the movie is a bit sappy and probably falls far too close to the "chick flick" genre for my personal taste. But for whatever reason, Sabrina is one of my all-time favorite films of all time. I've seen it probably a hundred times and will probably see it a hundred more.
I'll continue this list next week, and there'll be a few more surprise on the way. In the meantime, go out and rent or buy a few of these, and sit down with a bowl of yummy, buttery popcorn.

    1 comment:

    1. I do not watch horror movies for the same reason you do not watch Academy Award Winners! I have enough darkness and I don't need to add any more dark or demented ideas to my neuro-pathways and amygdala!
      But, I do love the cerebral films; I think it allows all of my sensitive emotions out by crying for the world through a beautifully told story. However, I don't think I can bring myself to watch 'Precious'!

      ReplyDelete