Sunday, August 15, 2010

Rainbows...Why?

The horribly inadequate photo my Sidekick took from the car.
A couple of weeks ago, Leo and I were driving back from Chicago and caught an amazing double rainbow in the sky. What is it about rainbows that captivates us so? Because indeed, there is something special and magical about seeing a rainbow. 

When I notice a rainbow, I'm inclined to pause whatever it is that I'm doing in order to be fully present in that moment and experience that beautiful, natural phenomenon in its entirety. It's almost as if for me, a rainbow is a signal to take a moment out of life to do nothing but appreciate something momentous and beautiful that doesn't happen every day.

I'm a bit sad that the camera on my Sidekick is so lacking and didn't actually capture the second rainbow very well. All you can really see is the first rainbow and a mere hint of the second, but I assure you, it was there, and it was stunning. Even better, when we passed this tree-lined area of the highway into a clearing ,we discovered that in fact, it was a full-arc rainbow - absolutely, undeniably magnificent.


No comments:

Post a Comment