Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Yummiest Yogurt Snack Recipe

Lately, as a part of my new health initiative, I've been hunting for some mega-healthy snacks. I'm a snacker. I can't pretend otherwise. And I figure if I'm going to have snacks (and I am), it's good to have healthy snacks, right? But having healthy snacks is something I tend to struggle with. I'm a bit of a carbaholic and my snacks always tend toward the carbtastic, which doesn't quite fit in with my new philosophy. So I went on a hunt for some new options.

I was reading through You: On A Diet and came across a recipe for a yogurt snack that sounded kind of tasty. Now, I like yogurt okay, but it's not at the top of my list of favorite foods, especially not plain yogurt. Plain yogurt has kind of a sour taste to it that I've never enjoyed. But since Roizen and Oz included agave nectar in the recipe, I decided to try the recipe from the book, with a few minor amendments of my own.

Yummy yogurt
Ingredients:
Plain, low-fat probiotic yogurt
Agave nectar
Dried cranberries (which the dried fruit industry insists on calling "craisins" these days)
Kashi Whole Wheat Crunch cereal

I put 6 ounces of yogurt into a bowl and stirred in a tablespoon of agave nectar. You can add more nectar as needed, depending on the level of sweetness you want. Agave nectar is calorie-rich, but is a natural, low-glycemic index sweetener that won't cause insulin spikes. So once I got the taste of the yogurt right, I tossed a few cranberries and some Kashi cereal on top and there's your yum.

The Kashi Crunch cereal is also a great snack when eaten dry (though I prefer dry multi-grain Cheerios), but the crunch is a bit too crunchy to be easily consumed. Adding it to the yogurt, however, allows the Kashi to get a bit of moisture into it so it still brings a nice crunch, without bringing potential danger to your dental work. I've enjoyed this as a snack, as a part of breakfast (as seen in the photo), and even as a dessert. It's multi-functional!

No comments:

Post a Comment