Sunday, September 5, 2010

An Abe and Willa Update

Those of you who have been following this blog for awhile know that Leo and I have two hamsters named Abe and Willa. Since I hadn't posted an update on them for awhile, I figured it was time.

So here are the updates:
Willa, 9/1/10
  • Both Abe and Willa have grown a remarkable amount. That was to be expected, since we got them when they were about 6 weeks old, but they've doubled in size, at least.
  • Willa's an adorable, chubby teddy bear hamster. She's taken to eating in her sleep and is starting to look a bit fat. She's completely precious, and fairly normal. 
  • Abe, on the other hand, has turned out to be a longhaired hamster, which is very interesting. Sometimes he looks very...pretty. Other times, he's a bit scraggly. The long-haired thing makes him look less "teddy bear" and more "skunk" or "porcupine," and kind of detracts from his masculinity, the poor little guy.
  • Abe, 8/27/10
  • That said, there's absolutely no question whatsoever now that Abe is male. All he has to do is turn his back on you and...well, it's quite obvious. And given the...aherm...flurry of nightly activity in Hamster Town, I'm pretty sure if Willa isn't already pregnant, she soon will be. At this point, I think she's just fat, not pregnant, but I'm not really sure.
  • Both hamsters are getting quite used to being held and are much more comfortable with us than when they first arrived. I attribute much of this to the kids, who during their August visit, were as enchanted by Abe and Willa as Leo and I are.
  • Finally, both hamsters have shown a great affinity for Cheerios and Rice Krispies. Willa stuffed 17 Cheerios in her cheeks one day and 24 Rice Krispies another day. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
So that's the Abe and Willa update. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm blogging that "Willa's Got Some Buns in the Oven," so stay tuned!

See Abe and Willa Photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment