Monday, September 20, 2010

Hummingbirds and Rosie

Ruby-throated hummingbird
My mom and I shared a love of hummingbirds. I always loved hummingbirds, from the moment I first saw one as a little girl. When I lived in Colorado one summer, there were hummingbirds everywhere, flying outside my window, in and out of stores that left their doors open....and my adoration of the hummingbird increased every time I saw one.

When my mom passed away, I started seeing hummingbirds at important moments in my life - when I talked to Leo on the phone for the first time, when I sold my first book, when I was missing my mom so much. And when one of my best friend's dad passed away last year, the funeral was held in a church with a giant window behind the pulpit...and during the funeral, hummingbirds danced just outside that window, as if to say that my mom and my friend's dad were hanging out together watching over us.

Hummingbirds are delightful creatures, hovering here and there, pausing mid-flight for just a moment before speeding off. According to Wikipedia, they can beat their wings 12-90 times per second and are the only bird that can fly backwards. All I know is that they're special to me and I'm pretty sure they're a sign that Rosie's looking down on me with love.

The other day, I saw a pair of hummingbirds next to the side of my house. They actually landed - something I've never seen. I haven't seen very many hummingbirds lately, so seeing those two was special, and a good sign that a big transition I'm about to make in my life is the right one.



No comments:

Post a Comment